Monday 12 September 2011

My Diorama in August-Sep 2011

I pen down this post as I wander and saunter in the world of movies and books this week. Also navigate through the misty Malnad hiils with my folks. For last few months have not had the opportunity to see quality movies but was able to sneak through couple of good hindi movies. So I chanced upon Rocket Singh and Chalo Dilli.


Rocket Singh though is a good movie, but definitely to get the plot going the movie has many flaws. Directed by Shimit Amin who is known for his earlier works , gritty Ab Tak Chappan and masterful Chak De India. The theme is very good and I don’t think any movie has been made on Salesmanship earlier in bollywood. The movie harbors around the protagonist Harpreet Singh (Ranbeer Kapoor) and his endurance to make name in salesmanship .After getting in, he comprehends the world of salesmanship and gets to know about the dirty things which prevail there. Demolished and insulted by his peers and his boss this movie depicts how he stamps his foot in the world of salesmanship. Well made movie punctuated with some apt acting by Ranbir Kapoor, but the plot loses its pragmatism and hovers around the unreal tactics.

I followed that movie with Chalo Dilli. This movie for sure has been inspired by the 1989 classic ‘Train ,planes and Automobiles’ and the recent Robert Downy Jr. starrer ‘Due date’. I would say the director could fathom the sense of a road movie and at the end created a good one.Vinay Pathak as always is a very good actor and ascribes his part with élan and panache. But I would say he is being now stereotyped in these kinds of roles. Lara dutta played her part well and all in all a nice movie to watch with the family.

Last but not the least I was able to complete Dante club. A marvelleous book and a hat off effort by  Mathew Pearl to pull out this classic book. Intermingled with Dante Aligheri’s poetry. Pearl has a written a masterful thriller. Some real life characters coupled with a maven plot this book is a must read for thriller fans who also relish a twang of history. I have already conjured up my mind to read his latest book ‘The Last Dickens’ which is again based on the mysterious death of legendary Charles Dickens.

To accentuate the week I finished the week with a trip to Chickmanglur with my folks. It was a trip to remember although it had the tint of spoiling rain. But nice is the way to spend quality time with your folks nestled in the hills.

As I now move on to my daily life, I surely enjoyed the last week where I could muster up some splendid things and ended it with a good seal.



No comments: